Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Potty Trained! What a BIG girl!


I am the very proud Mommy of a potty trained girl!


Jeff was gone for 4 days so I took Saturday as a "day off" and began Sunday morning. The method I used is meant to train the child to tell you when they have to go rather than you taking them every hour of every day for months. I tried that method before she turned 2 and then life got distracting and I quit. Anyway, this method was me sticking like glue to Danielle's side for almost 3 days and her wearing only a t-shirt and her new big-girl panties. The first day was very intense, watching for Danielle's signs that she had to go. She had a lot to drink so we had lots of opportunities to practice. When she either gave me the look that she had to go, or actually started going, I scooped her up and rushed her to the toilet so she could finish there. The first few times she would try to hide and go somewhere else but I always caught her and she quickly figured out when she got that feeling she needed to go in the toilet. All day every day I would say to her "you let Mommy know when you need to go potty, ok?!" By noon the 2nd day she stopped playing, turned to me and said "please go" and we both ran to the bathroom. I think I actually soared...I was so proud, happy, excited and a little shocked that it happened so quickly.


She seemed to get more and more confident every time after that. I still watch her very carefully but I'm slowly giving her more space and hoping she will soon go in there on her own. This method has you throw out all diapers and pull-ups which sounds scary but really wasn't so bad for us. Danielle does not like her panties to be wet so she is very motivated to get to the potty. She has only wet the bed during night/nap 3 times and I think those were because she was given so many cups of liquid in those first days and couldn't hold it while sleeping! Since I've eased up on the liquids a lot she has been dry upon waking up.


Daddy came home last night and she did have one accident during dinner. I think it was a very exciting and busy evening so she got distracted and didn't tell us she had to go the one time.
Well, that's the big news in Danielle's world and my own. Of course I am always proud of her but this weekend was a wonderful feeling of accomplishment for both of us. Praise God for giving me the strength to get through.

3 comments:

Joe, Becky, Julia, Hannah said...

Congrats! I know it's a big accomplishement for Danielle, and you as well!!
She looks a lot like your Mom in this picture. :)

Jessica said...

I appreciated those tips. We are working on potty training right now and I am the one with the problems. I am not consistent enough. I need to do what you did... I was just thinking how is going to learn if he isn't uncomfortable when he does go. I am washing his big boy undies as we speak. Good to hear my thoughts were on the right track.

Unknown said...

Fantastic potty training to you Lisa, Danielle is a very smart young lady. She sure picked up on everything you taught her, and you were successful.
Auntie Gloria