Thursday, January 19, 2012

Just a regular day.

The girls dressed up and sang Christmas carols to me!

She takes her writing very seriously.

I was pleasantly surprised.
She's doing it!!

Danielle's sweet work.  I'm blessed to be her Mama.

Samantha getting measured on our growth wall. 
(they always get measured on their birthdays)
 Today I decided to see what Samantha can do as far as writing her letters.  She knows them all and most of the sounds they make but I was curious if she could write them.  Sure enough...she does pretty well!  So, that was exciting and she felt very proud of herself.  The last few days she has started catching herself saying a word and then she'll say "Cold!  That starts with cuh-cuh "C"!"  Sometimes she's wrong but that's part of the learning.

We have a question basket that we pull out at dinner time.  Danielle can read most of the questions and Samantha likes to pretend she is reading (I whisper in her ear what it says and she repeats it.)  They are random questions that are supposed to get you talking as a family.  Tonight the question was "If you could change your name what would you want to be called?".  Samantha at first thought she'd like to be called "Samanthey" so we smiled and told her that was cute.  Then she thought another minute and said "No, I'd want to be called Cinderella!!".  We thought Cinderella Joy Miller was a pretty name but just for pretend.  After hearing Samantha's choice Danielle decided she'd want to be called Ariel.  Then we shared a few things with the girls like what they would have been called if they were a boy (Matthew Dean), that my dad wanted to name me Danielle but then they met a special girl named Lisa and named me after her, etc.  Fun dinner conversations.  I just found the idea and the questions online and it's been a great thing for our family.

1 comment:

Sean and Jennifer Donahue said...

Great idea! We'll have to try it out, especially as Hayden gets older.