Friday, July 9, 2010

What my 3-year-old taught me about prayer…

D cropped

Last night after sitting down to dinner we said grace and started to eat. Then Danielle piped up with, “Wait, I want to pray myself!…And I want you to pray with me.” This was no problem and quite adorable so we folded our hands and bowed our heads again. I figured it would be something she was thankful for, or something she wanted, or to ask God to heal someone who is sick…the usual things we pray for. I was not expecting what came next:

"Dear Jesus, Today I got to play in my pool outside. I played with my sister, we splashed water on ourselves, filled buckets, and I even went down the little slide on my tummy. And Jesus, you know what? I wasn’t even scared when I got water on my face! In Jesus name I pray, Amen”

Well, the words are all blurry now as I type. We do try to teach our girls that God and Jesus love them and are always there for them, but I was thrilled to hear that in addition to that Danielle knew Jesus cared to hear about her day!

We are so precious to Him and I am so thankful He gives us little children who remind us of such important things that we easily forget.

So, go ahead and tell Jesus about your day. Obviously He was there and knows what happened but He wants to hear it from your perspective and with your emotions. We tend to think it’s “more precious” to hear a little child pray but for God we are ALL his children. Pretty neat to think of it that way, huh?

Thanks for listening and hopefully you are as blessed by this reminder as I was.

No comments: